Today, we’ll study the close relationship between a healthy church and biblical church officers. The Bible describes two offices in the church, elder and deacon. First, we’ll see the biblical qualifications, giftedness, and responsibilities of elders. Second, we’ll see the biblical teaching on the biblical qualifications and responsibilities of deacons.
I. The Biblical Elder
A. The Qualified Man (1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9)
B. The Gifted Man (1 Timothy 3:2; Ephesians 4:12)
C. The Ministering Man
1. Leading the Ministry (1 Thessalonians 5:12; 1 Timothy 3:5)
2. Shepherding the People (1 Peter 5:1-5)
3. Praying for the People (Acts 6:4; James 5:13-15)
II. The Biblical Deacon
A. The Office of Deacon (Acts 6:1-6; Philippians 1:1; 1 Timothy 3:8-14)
B. The Deacon’s Faith (1 Timothy 3:8-14)
C. The Deacon’s Work (Acts 6:1-6)
QUESTIONS FOR APPLICATION
1. Think about your elders. Is there anything in their life that should disqualify them as serving in this capacity? If so, pray about it and then make the time to talk to them about the state of their spirituality.
2. Is there someone in the church, who is not currently serving as an elder, that has blessed you with their teaching ministry? Has your spiritual life benefited from their ability to communicate God’s truth? Are they also doers of God’s word? IF so, encourage that person to consider being an elder and let an elder know that this individual is a potential elder.
3. Do you know and understand where the elders would like to see the church go in the next 3-5 years? Do you trust their leadership to achieve their spiritual goals? How can the church work together in order to accomplish these spiritual goals?
4. Who are the deacons of the church? If you don’t know who they are, get to know them and ask how you can help them in the ministry. Ask them how you can pray for them and encourage them.
5. Do you see the spiritual demands of church leaders as spiritual goals in your life? God is the motivation to pursue these characteristics, whether or not the title of elder or deacon will come along with it.
The Composition and Character of Church Leadership
Pastor Mark Pakingan